Most of the country is currently practicing some form of isolation and quarantining at home due to COVID-19. In addition to the pressing threat the virus poses to human health, these changes have also created an environment in which hackers, scammers, and spammers thrive. Children are attending classes online, while adults are working remote.
In times of stress or distraction, people are more likely to fall for malicious scams and tricks. And Small businesses of all types are targets. Roughly 50% of small businesses say they have experienced a data breach during the past year, and even more report being hit by a cyber attack.
Check out our list of best practices to keep you safe as you work from home.
Remote Working Tips:
- Only open emails from trusted senders and sources.
- Access work-related resources only through your employer’s secure network.
- Make certain you have a strong and unique home Wi-Fi password.
- Be aware that scammers are making and sending misleading phones calls and texts.
- Do not share teleconferencing or video conferencing information outside of work.
- If working outdoors, do not leave laptops and other equipment unattended.
- Lock your doors and windows.
- Only use storage devices issued by your employer.
Consult with your employer and/or IT department for additional measures that can keep you safe.
INSURANCE PROTECTION AGAINST DATA AND CYBER ATTACKS
Millers Mutual’s Data Response and Cyber Liability product is a specialized solution designed for our commercial clients. With a policy from us, clients will have a dedicated unit delivering immediate response service and expertise.