More room to grow
An environment that fosters growth
We’ve been helping people and providing more than a measure of peace of mind for over 120 years. And we owe every bit of our success to a talented team of driven professionals – people who care about their work, care about our reputation, and care about making sure the highest level of protection is always wrapped in the warmest blanket of security and integrity.
Millers Mutual provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race or ethnic group, religion, color, ancestry, place of birth, sex or sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
At Millers Mutual Insurance, we recognize the importance of our employees’ health and wellness. We are committed to providing a high quality, competitive employee benefit program which is designed to address our employees’ benefit needs. Our benefit package is regularly reviewed and modified to ensure we offer those benefits most valuable to both the employee and their family.
If you want to do more than just the basic stuff, make your mark and go further in your career, this is the place. Take a look at our current openings and if you see a good fit, apply. We’d love to talk to you.
We are looking for an Underwriter II in the Underwriting Department. Duties include but not limited to:
Essential Job Functions
- Manages a book of business for assigned agencies and is responsible for overall profit and growth of the book. Utilizes all underwriting tools and resources.
- Reviews and underwrites individual applications for new and renewal business for commercial lines accounts within established authority level. Evaluates exposures to loss, determines pricing, and determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines. Documents details of underwriting decisions, while maintaining all supporting information, records, and data in accordance with audit standards.
- Reviews results of underwriting file reviews, makes needed file/process adjustments and applies lesson-learned moving forward.
- Notifies agencies of adverse decisions, underwriting requirements, status and declinations. Answers questions from agencies, policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to management as necessary. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Delivers quotes, terms and conditions to the agent. Have ongoing negotiations with the agent until the renewal order is received and then sends the renewal to be processed.
- Orders and reviews inspections, and prepares recommendation letters.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication externally (between agents and company) and internally (within the company) regarding underwriting procedures and practices, growth/profit goals and objectives, and agency relations. Travels to visit agencies and customers throughout the year.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends and shares this information with team members, particularly their Underwriting Leader.
- As directed, conducts special studies and projects regarding underwriting procedures and practices. Submits recommendations to improve department results, including coverage, pricing, or competitive issues.
- As requested by the Underwriting Leader, plans and facilitates the Underwriting Meetings.
- Assists the Underwriting Leader in training and mentoring other underwriting team members.
- Maintain an operating knowledge of Millers’ standardized hardware, software programs, third party software, and processing procedures.
- Performs other functions as assigned to support operations. (e.g. perform risk surveys, takes first notice of loss on catastrophe claims etc.)
- A minimum of three years of property and casualty commercial lines underwriting experience OR consistent demonstration of success as an Underwriter – Level 1.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university OR commensurate experience.
- Possesses a CPCU, CIC, or AU designation OR is willing to attain one of these designations.
- Demonstrates strong negotiation and sales management skills.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all employee levels in the organization and with customers.
- Demonstrates strong customer service, organizational and analytical skills.
- Valid driver’s license that conforms to company standards.
Interested candidates should contact Karen Anuscavage, Vice President of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
We are passionate about serving our clients, developing our professionals and giving back to our communities. If you are a committed professional with a passion for delivering unparalleled service, we are interested in hearing from you.