An Environment That Fosters Growth
Creating Exceptional Outcomes Through An Incredible Team
Millers Mutual Insurance, based in Harrisburg, PA, is a niche property and casualty insurance carrier that brings stability to a difficult risk: multifamily housing. In partnership with our independent agents, we’ve been providing clients the peace of mind that loss doesn’t have to be permanent since 1890. We understand the importance of hiring passionate professionals who thrive off helping others and work in support of a common goal.
Our deep investment in our people has created a culture of compassion and continuous education that sharpens our focus and spills into our relationships with agents and customers. With a strong culture defined by humility, trust, autonomy and passion, Millers is well positioned to infuse generosity through the very fabric of our operations—from supporting employees to giving back to charitable causes.
Personal relationships and focus are at the core of Millers Mutual’s stability and success.
Build Trust: Knowing colleagues have one another’s success and best interests in mind promotes a psychologically safe environment. We count on one another to do what it takes to achieve common goals.
Stay Humble: We have created a culture of servant leadership, which starts with leadership and is woven throughout the organization. Helping others is at the heart of what we do every day.
Lead from Anywhere: Millers empowers its employees at every level to be autonomous in their work. We are encouraged to share opinions and our perspective is valued.
Work with Passion: Our singular focus on multifamily housing makes it easier to be passionate about the work we do. Our work revolves around people not profits; personal relationships are at the core of our success.
At Millers Mutual Insurance, we recognize the importance of our employees’ health and wellness. We are committed to providing a high quality, competitive employee benefit program which is designed to address our employees’ benefit needs. Our benefit package is regularly reviewed and modified to ensure we offer those benefits most valuable to both the employee and their family.
Millers Mutual provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race or ethnic group, religion, color, ancestry, place of birth, sex or sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
Millers Mutual Insurance
In the wake of an accident, an insurance policy should provide a source of solace. Without a carrier that’s deeply invested in the multifamily housing space, property owners experiencing a loss may find just the opposite. Avoiding gaps in coverage takes singular focus. Where other providers divide their attention across multiple classes of business, Millers zeros in on multifamily housing. Our agents and our customers deserve a carrier that’s dedicated to understanding the intricacies of multifamily housing.
Based in Harrisburg, PA, Millers Mutual Insurance is the niche property & casualty insurer that brings stability to multifamily housing. We currently serve multifamily housing, student housing, affordable housing & commercial real estate markets in PA, DE, MD, NC, OH, VA & D.C.
Commercial Underwriter Position Overview
As a Commercial Underwriter at Millers Mutual, you’ll become part of a passionate team that values humility, company-wide leadership, and trust, and sees culture as core to its ability to empower our agents to become a reassuring force in the lives of their customers.
In this role, agents in your territory will depend on you as Millers Mutual is known for our singular commitment to multifamily housing. Our deep understanding of the exposures endemic to the niche means thorough coverage for property owners—and reassurance amid the anxiety of emergencies. You will be responsible for the production, retention and profit of commercial lines business utilizing advanced technical underwriting ability.
In line with our lead-from anywhere philosophy, you’ll be expected to use your sharp decision-making skills to determine risk acceptability and pricing. Furthermore, we ask that you prioritize providing prompt, accurate, courteous, and professional services to our agents and fellow employees. This position requires a person with excellent soft skills including but not limited to negotiating, sales acumen, and organizational skills to generate and maintain effective producer and customer relationships. Additionally, you will collaborate with the underwriting team and leaders to advise on market trends that may need attention.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages a book of business for assigned agencies and is responsible for overall profit and growth of the book. Utilizes all present and future underwriting tools and resources.
- Reviews and underwrites individual applications for new and renewal business for commercial lines accounts within established authority level. Evaluates exposures to loss, determines pricing, and determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines. Documents details of underwriting decisions, while maintaining all supporting information, records, and data in accordance with audit standards.
- Reviews results of underwriting file reviews, makes needed file/process adjustments and applies lesson-learned moving forward.
- Notifies agencies of adverse decisions, underwriting requirements, status and declinations. Answers questions from agencies, policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to management as necessary. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Delivers quotes, terms and conditions to the agent. Have ongoing negotiations with the agent until the renewal order is received and then sends the renewal to be processed.
- Orders and reviews inspections and prepares recommendation letters.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication externally (between agents and company) and internally (within the company) regarding underwriting procedures and practices, growth/profit goals and objectives, and agency relations. Travels to visit agencies and customers throughout the year.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends and shares this information with team members, particularly their Underwriting Leader.
- As directed, conducts special studies and projects regarding underwriting procedures and practices. Submits recommendations to improve department results, including coverage, pricing, or competitive issues.
- As requested by the Underwriting Leader, plans, and facilitates the Underwriting Meetings.
- Assists the Underwriting Leader in training and mentoring other underwriting team members.
- Maintain an operating knowledge of Millers’ standardized hardware, software programs, third party software, and processing procedures.
- Performs other functions as assigned to support operations. (e.g. perform risk surveys, takes first notice of loss on catastrophe claims etc.)
- A minimum of three years of property and casualty commercial lines underwriting experience OR consistent demonstration of success as an Underwriter – Level 1.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university OR commensurate experience.
- Possesses a CPCU, CIC, or AU designation OR is willing to attain one of these designations.
- Demonstrates strong negotiation and sales management skills.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all employee levels in the organization and with customers.
- Demonstrates strong customer service, organizational and analytical skills.
- Valid driver’s license that conforms to company standards.
Interested In Joining Our Team?
In the aftermath of the unforeseen, with Millers Mutual as their carrier, customers can have the peace that comes from knowing loss doesn’t have to be permanent. The ability to lead from any position, humility, trustworthiness, and passion are all immovable facets of Millers employees. If this sounds like you, we’d love to know more about you. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Karen Anuscavage, Vice President of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are passionate about serving our clients, developing our professionals and giving back to our communities. If you are a committed professional with a passion for delivering unparalleled service, we are interested in hearing from you.